JOSEPH YETTO : DRAWING ON DARK TIMES
October 10 - November 15
DRAWING ON DARK TIMES
On view October 10 – November 15, 2020
This has been a turbulent year for the nation and world. It feels as though our civilization is teetering on the brink of destruction. As our society was put into lockdown, I turned to my studio in search of a way to express how I was feeling. Nothing seems rational, so delving into the subconscious has been my way of searching. My search led to the creation of these surreal works.I start my process with automatic drawing. I flow between applying conscious and subconscious marks while making some pictorial decisions along the way. Never having a known destination, the drawings take on drastic changes during their development. Some of them require the addition or removal of paper as they evolve. For example, the largest work in the show “Surreal Times XXIV” which is 85 ½ x 91 ¼” started out as a 24 x 56” sheet of paper. Throughout its development, it constantly changed orientation as shapes came and went. With each added sheet of paper came new opportunities for exploration and transformation. Along with adding whole sheets, I would also tear up paper in semi random shapes. These shaped pieces became new forms in the composition. Some of them remain and others became buried under layers of charcoal and/or other torn fragments. In the end, the drawing’s yearlong process and evolution can be seen through the visible scars left from the process.Joseph Yetto
Thompson Giroux Gallery
57 Main Street
Chatham, NY 12037
Gallery OPEN: Thursday – Monday 11am-5pm
· Only one self-isolating group at a time. No more than three visitors in your group.
· Everyone is required to wear a mask in the gallery. If you do not have a mask please wait outside and we will bring you one. If you are unable to wear a mask curbside service is available.
· Please practice social distancing guidelines (keep 6 feet apart) from staff and anyone not a part of your household.
· Please do not visit the gallery if you have been sick or may have been exposed to someone who is/maybe sick.
· Appointments are not necessary but are available if you do not live locally or have time constraints.
For gallery policy updates please visit https://thompsongirouxgallery.com/contact
We hope you stop by to see the show!
Surreal Times V : A Great Plague, 2020
Charcoal on paper
20.75″ x 28″
image copyright of the artist.